Monday, March 10, 2008

What WAS Lambeth Palace thinking?

Or have they joined the Bush White House in not thinking at all?

Cantuar had already not invited the Bishop of New Hampshire to Lambeth 2008. While some held out hope that he might, I doubted it would happen. That Bp. Robinson will not be invited has now been confirmed to the House of Bishops of TEC.

+Gene has been very gracious about it all, as he has been since his election.

I read at ELO that "Robinson told the House that he respectfully declined an invitation to be present in the conference's "Marketplace" exhibit section."

The exhibit section?

If the Bishop of New Hampshire was invited to come as an exhibitor (or, worse, as an exhibit) I find that far more insulting than no invitation at all.

I do hope the American bishops show up, and show some spine at Lambeth.

And I cannot help wondering where the AC would be today if an Evangelical (Carey) had not been appointed as Williams' predecessor.

You can tell I am wearing my crankypants this evening.

...mutter, mutter... gormless twit... mutter, mutter....
--the BB

1 comment:

Jane R said...

Thanks for the image. That is exactly what came to my mind when I read about the exhibit thing. Ugh!

That said, +Gene will be around in Canterbury during Lambeth, but on his own terms. Godde bless him for his courtesy and civility. He is one of the sanest clergy I have ever met, and I have met a lot of clergy in my life (though the percentage of sane ones is another question...).

Crankypants are perfectly appropriate under the circumstances. (Plus, as Caminante noted on another blog, 'tis clergy-pre-Holy-Week cranky time.)

We really should figure out some public -- but utterly civil -- manifestation of our support of lgbt Episcopalians and other Anglicans (including but not limited to +Gene) during the period of Lambeth. And I don't mean in the blogosphere. (Though that goes without saying - but I'm thinking the wider world.)