Sunday, April 05, 2009

The greening of Desert Farne - updated for orthography


I have not really done much in the garden this weekend. Yesterday I watered everything with the wind whipping around me in all directions. Eager to get out of it, I did not do a slow deep watering of my fruit trees.

So this afternoon I did a second watering of the fruit trees that should last them until next weekend.

Meanwhile, here are a few pictures from this afternoon:

The lilac outside my back door finally has buds for some flowers. It took us two years to get to this point. The lilac looks very happy this year and I am excited about it.

Paul and Doris Hagen gave me a lilac when I lived in California and I planted it across the driveway where we could see it from the kitchen windw window. Alas, it had to be left behind. So this one was planted in honor of them and will always, in my mind, be the Hagen lilac.


Here are some of the vines of the Thompson seedless grape. Although the freeze that hit recently did some damage to emerging grape leaves, there were more to come and it has recovered nicely.


This is a shot of the south end of the yard. In the foreground is the black Tartarian cherry, then the Santa Rosa plum, and against the west wall a Lady Banks rose. There is green to be seen once more!

Oh, the patch of green on the ground between the plum and the rose is Greek oregano spreading happily.

--the BB

2 comments:

Jane R said...

Beware oregano. The one time I had a real garden, a little square in the city, the oregano took over. It was much worse than mint, which spreads like crazy but doesn't dig nasty roots like oregano. Plus there's only so much you can do with oregano. It started invading the strawberries and creeping all over the place.

Lovely, lovely about the lilac!

Paul said...

Thanks for the warning, Jane. I have seen what mint can do. The oregano, so far, has stayed in one spot, but it has quite clearly spread from its initial planting. I may need to transplant it into a large pot. Soon.