Saturday, April 18, 2009

Quasimodo 2009


I have emerged somewhat from creating background to writing again. Time to explore the courts of the prince and one of his cousins.

Staying home, with only two brief outings in four days, has paid off. I have just a touch of sinus congestion and my lungs are doing well so far. I look forward to going back to work. Cabin fever has definitely set in.

So I will be preaching and presiding tomorrow while Mother Rhonda does the baptism of young Keira and Mother Sandra does the chrismation. The first baptism in our little mission! Very exciting.

How many sermons have you heard on doubting Thomas? I am not going to preach on that tomorrow. I am going to preach on the sacred wounds of Jesus and some mystical theology instead, drawing on the Anima Christi prayer and Dame Julian of Norwich. I do have a good sermon on Thomas but I preached it to this gang last year on Easter 2.



Soul of Christ, sanctify me
Body of Christ, save me
Blood of Christ, inebriate me
Water from Christ's side, wash me
Passion of Christ, strengthen me
O good Jesus, hear me
Within Thy wounds hide me
Suffer me not to be separated from Thee
From the malicious enemy defend me
In the hour of my death call me
And bid me come unto Thee
That I may praise Thee with Thy saints
and with Thy angels
Forever and ever
Amen
If you wonder about the "Quasimodo" that is the name of this Sunday from the incipit of its traditional introit: Quasimodo geniti infantes ... (from 1 Peter 2:2-3 "Like newborn infants, long for the pure, spiritual milk, so that by it you may grow into salvation—if indeed you have tasted that the Lord is good.") With the baptismal themes of 1 Peter it's perfect for tomorrow!

Here is a chap singing it rather well in a cold room last February.




--the BB

No comments: