Sunday, November 22, 2009

Practical advice for this week


You gotta love cooking advice like this. It is from Sam Sifton's Diner's Journal, The New York Times Blog on Dining Out.

Let’s start at the top. DO NOT BRINE A TURKEY THAT IS GOING TO BE FRIED. The first time I went to a turkey-fry we made that mistake, my friend Manny and I, the two of us amped on beer and adrenaline, redneck in the extreme. We put the brined turkey into the superhot peanut oil, which almost instantly converted the excess moisture the bird had been given by the brine into steam. The steam, caught inside the bird, exploded the breasts off the carcass and sent them hurtling skyward on a plume of boiling oil. It was a fairly intense couple of seconds. DO NOT BRINE A TURKEY THAT YOU ARE GOING TO FRY.
"It was a fairly intense couple of seconds."

The voice of experience carries authority.

--the BB

7 comments:

Fran said...

I am a big turkey briner, but I am not a turkey fryer.

This made me laugh my ahem *turkey* off.

Moments after I was weeping too, so I needed the release. Thank you.

June Butler said...

Best laugh I've had all day. Thanks.

Fran, I did not know that you were a turkey briner. I was thinking more along the lines of a female human. I guess I was wrong. Isn't it odd that you can know people, and yet really not know them?

susan s. said...

I avoid the problem altogether by having Pork Tenderloin! Not fried...

Paul said...

I will probably do a pork roast for Christmas. Turkey at Bill's this week. I am on for vegetables.

The Cunning Runt said...

This sounds like a potential coroner's report starting with the words, "It seemed like a good idea at the time..."

Thanks for the chuckle, Paul. I was due for one!

Ellie Finlay said...

That is so, so funny!

Well, you know me. It was a (delicious) vegetarian Thanksgiving.

Jane R said...

LMAO! New advances in projectile weaponry.

I just don't get the fried turkey thing, btw, one more sign that despite my efforts to acculturate, I am just a damnyankee after all. But you knew that.

Vegetarian Thanksgiving here too, Ellie.