Saturday, July 10, 2010

Low key day


Last night I drove from work to meet friends and we then headed north of Santa Fe for the opera: Die Zauberflöte (The Magic Flute) by Mozart. We had a picnic-style supper in a condo in Santa Fe then rejoiced in cooler weather as we settled in for the music. The music was wonderful. Well, one expects that from Mozart, but the singers and orchestra did a great job. As one friend opined, it was nice to see Tamino look and act as one imagines a prince should. Papageno had great comic timing and acting and a wonderful voice. I enjoyed listening to Tamino and Pamina and Papageno... and the Queen of the Night hit those notes. Bravi tutti! Here is the amazing thing. I was alert and engaged all the way through. No naps during the performance. This may be a first in recent history.

It made for a late night and we were up not much later than I get up for work. Breakfast at Clafouti in Santa Fe then a drive home.

After such a long day yesterday, today was a do-nothing day. I watered the yard, traded some e-mails, and not much else. Tonight three of us saw The Taming of the Shrew. It is a very problematic play because you just want to scream at the subjugation of women and treatment of them as chattel. There were some fun comic turns but the play itself is beyond problematic. Other than the Taylor-Burton film of it, I believe I had only seen it once. That was at Cal Shakes and the lead couple were husband and wife in real life. They were able to give a lot more physicality and fire to the roles than one usually gets and I vaguely remember feeling better about the play that night. Ah well. A week from tomorrow is A Midsummer Night's Dream and I look forward to that.

The photo is of penstemon.

Sweet dreams, my frivolous vogelfängers!

--the BB

1 comment:

Ellie Finlay said...

Ah, Die Zauberflöte! My favorite opera bar none. When I was a little girl, I used to sneak into the living room (while everyone else was in the den watching TV) and put it on the hi-fi. I'd sit on the floor in front of the speaker with the libretto on my lap and just be transported. I had quite a cruch on Theodore Upmann (undoubtedly the best Papageno ever)!