Tuesday, October 28, 2008

This is so important


Senator Feinstein is, to put it mildly, not only too centrist but downright problematic when push comes to shove (can we talk judges here?). I have been furious with her on many occasions, and written to tell her so back when I was a consitutent.

But she does a good thing here.



The bigots and theocrats (severely overlapping sets) are putting a lot of money and emotional investment into Prop Hate (8) in California. It matters a great deal to them. The same can be said for Prop 2 in Florida.

I grew up among fundamentalists, people who were reading Dobson and LaHaye when they were just coming on the scene. I do not want these people gaining more power or spreading their lies, fears, and hatred.

So I checked my bank balance and just forked over another $100 to fight Prop 8.

I wish I could send a video of me to all my aunts and uncles and cousins reminding them that they know me and most of them know my ex and they all know that if we had been allowed to and chose to marry it would not have harmed their marriages or cheapened their relationships. It would not signal an outbreak of ménages à trente or been a harbinger of widespread bestiality. They all know that we both believe passionately in protecting children from any kind of exploitation or abuse. Even our separation only showed that we are, indeed, very much like everyone else. Yet more blessed than most because love survived and friendship remains. Many divorced couples can say the same but even more cannot, alas.

Help say NO to discrimination any way you can.

And thanks.
--the BB

1 comment:

susan s. said...

Not to toot my own horn, but I did that when IT got married.