Wednesday, February 06, 2008

Thursday after Ash Wednesday

Not that I have already obtained this or have already reached the goal; but I press on to make it my own, because Christ Jesus has made me his own. Beloved, I do not consider that I have made it my own; but this one thing I do: forgetting what lies behind and straining forward to what lies ahead, I press on towards the goal for the prize of the heavenly call of God in Christ Jesus. Let those of us then who are mature be of the same mind; and if you think differently about anything, this too God will reveal to you. Only let us hold fast to what we have attained. (Philippians 3:12-16)


We have here not only encouragement to go beyond where we are now but also some advice about disagreement. While Saint Paul may well be saying that if you don’t agree with him God will eventually bring you around (that would be so like the old curmudgeon), he goes on to say “let us hold fast to what we have attained.” I am going to play with this and am not asserting that what I say here is what Paul intended, OK?

Where we are of the same mine, it’s way cool. But when we are not, then (1) let us wait upon God to reveal the truth to us and (2) let us hold fast to what seems certain and agreed upon.

Practical application: the Church struggles with issues related to sexuality and is not of one mind. God undoubtedly has more to teach us in this area and we have much to learn. It is all right to wait upon this. We do not have to be of one mind yet; we do not have to rush toward conclusions and closure. It is OK to leave the matter open for now. Furthermore, there are things we can agree on and we might do well to remember them, celebrate them, and acknowledge them in one another.

Can we, for instance, agree upon the goodness of creation? I mean, it’s right there in Genesis 1. Can we agree that God wills wholeness? Can we agree that we all need grace? Can we agree that we encounter God redemptively in Jesus? (I write here to a Church audience; if that ain’t your stance then Anglican squabbles are more an object of amusement or horror; I am not expecting everyone who reads this to be of a churchoid persuasion.) Can we agree that we all struggle with sin? That we are all limited and our understanding is limited? That we all yearn for God’s wholeness? If we can get that far, then we have all come together in mutual recognition of a desire to be holy. That’s quite a bit of common ground.

Granted, we may disagree about where holiness is manifested and how it is recognized and how it is lived out. But to agree on a shared goal while disagreeing on how it is realized is still progress when compared to saying I want to walk as a child of the light and you obviously love darkness. We are all seeing murky reflections in an ancient mirror and none of us is even ready for the fullness of God’s light. We all have shadows in and around us. Yet the Light of God enlightens everyone who comes into the world. So as we walk about with imperfect vision, creatures of both light and shadow, we do well to journey together with some humility.

I do not, in what I have just written, intend to condone oppression or cruelty (such is not the level of disagreement I have in mind). Not sayin' "Oh, you can go on oppressing people and we'll just amicably disagree about it." That is the neurotic playing the borderline's game. Not having it. But I am talking about a great many instances in which we are all trying to follow Jesus but we are not of one mind. The disagreement may be passionately felt. Is it possible for all parties to trust God and keep traveling together?

We have so very far to grow, after all. Consider this:

Though the fig tree does not blossom, and no fruit is on the vines; though the produce of the live fails and the fields yield no food; though the flock is cut off from the fold and there is no herd in the stalls, yet I will rejoice in the Lord; I will exult in the God of my salvation. (Habakkuk 3:17-18)


This speaks of love of God without respect to what God may or may not do for us: love of God per se. If we move toward that level of maturity, our squabbles will, I predict, seem petty indeed.

Direct us, O Lord, in all our doings with your most gracious favor, and further us with your continual help; that in all our works begun, continued, and ended in you, we may glorify your holy Name, and finally, by your mercy, obtain everlasting life; through Jesus Christ our Lord, who lives and reigns with you and the Holy Spirit, one God, for ever and ever. Amen.
--the BB

1 comment:

Diane M. Roth said...

I really like this!!!! more later...