Tuesday, February 05, 2008

An unpleasant and unsurprising update

The CIA Director acknowledged waterboarding before Congress today. This could easily get lost in the hoopla over Super Tuesday. It should not be swept under the rug.
The CIA on three occasions shortly after the September 11 attacks used a widely condemned interrogation technique known as waterboarding, CIA Director Michael Hayden told Congress on Tuesday.
You may read Paul Kiel's article at TPM, whence I lifted the Reuters quote, here.

You may also read further comments about this confirmation of what you have known in your heart (and head) all along here and here.
--the BB

5 comments:

johnieb said...

I remember victims of waterboarding ("We" didn't do it; our puppets did.) from forty years ago. Somehow I feel slightly better now that other U S citizens are beginning to notice that we do it too.

"Sorry 'bout that."

I got a new, and to me not entirely unrelated post up, in response to Nina. I'd appreciate your opinion, BB.

Padre Mickey said...

Now that they've admited that they use torture, can we finally begin impeachment proceedings?

Fran said...

Simulated drowning they call it... I feel sick to my stomach.

johnieb said...

There's nothing "simulated" about it; it's simply done in (very) slow motion.

Sorry; I'm a bit edgy still; feel free to edit, Paul.

Paul said...

Johnieb, you have every reason to be edgy, especially if you are visiting some really difficult memories (on so many levels).

We are all sickened and angry with what the misleaders of our nation have implemented.

Peace and courage to all who speak the truth.