Thursday, December 20, 2007

Advent thoughts – Friday of Advent 3

One of the more interesting and, I believe, theologically significant juxtapositions in the Apocalypse occurs in chapter five. It is, however, obscured by the Daily Office lectionary that splits the two images, placing the first one one day and the second on the following day. Because of this I am rejoining the two images by taking a snippet from yesterday and its sequel from today.

Then one of the elders said to me, ‘Do not weep. See, the Lion of the tribe of Judah, the Root of David, has conquered, so that he can open the scroll and its seven seals.’ Then I saw between the throne and the four living creatures and among the elders a Lamb standing as if it had been slaughtered, having seven horns and seven eyes, which are the seven spirits of God sent out into all the earth. He went and took the scroll from the right hand of the one who was seated on the throne. (Apocalypse 5:5-7)

Notice how John the Seer is reassured that the Lion of Judah is worthy to open the sealed scroll. John looks for this Lion of Judah and what he sees is a Lamb appearing to have been slaughtered.

It is a stunning juxtaposition and reversal of expectation. One looks for a Lion and finds a Lamb. One looks for a conqueror and behold instead one slaughtered. What is this vision teaching John? What is John teaching us?

First there is the reassurance of continuity. We are talking about the Lion of Judah, the rightful ruler in Davidic symbolism. What is going on here is part of the salvation history of the people of Israel carried into the future. It is about the Anointed of God.

But it is not simply one more Davidic king, one more ruler of Israel, one more military victor. It is a conqueror but one who conquers through other means. The triumphal one is one who was led like a lamb to the slaugther. His victory is not won with horses and chariots, with myriads of warriors, with glittering weapons. It is won in his death. It is won on the Cross.

The power that triumphs is not the power of physical might, not political power, not the power of manipulation and subjugation. It is a different kind of power altogether. Recall yesterday's message from Zechariah: Not by might, nor by power, but by my spirit, says the Lord of hosts.

So it is a lamb, the Lamb of God that takes away the sins of the world, who is the victor, who is worthy to open the seven-sealed scroll and unfold the ending of the Great Story. It is the Lamb that ransomed saints for God from every tribe and language and people and nation to whom is now ascribed blessing and honor and glory and might as heavenly worship ascends.

Sometimes you need a fresh perspective to help you see what's there. When I read the psalm verse in the graphic immediately above I think of being in a pit, sort of like Jeremiah, with water seeping in, my feet in the damp soil sticking to me like clay. Mire is boggy ground, another yucky place to be stuck. But the Latin (see first graphic) has that rather obvious genitive form "fecis" and we all know the plural nominative version: feces. Puts it in a whole different light. God, you pulled me up out of the shit.

Now that's a visceral, descriptive faith: the kind psalmists are known for. And there are times "mud" just does not capture what we feel stuck in.

But God reaches out, reaches down, and pulls us out and sets us freee.

Now THAT'S Good News.
The word of the Lord came to Zechariah, saying: Thus says the Lord of hosts: Render true judgments, show kindness and mercy to one another; do not oppress the widow, the orphan, the alien, or the poor; and do not devise evil in your hearts against one another. (Zechariah 7:8-10)

No commentary necessary. Res ipsa loquitur.

Aboriginal Art:
Full Waterlily Harvest by Gaye Leon



Today's prayer comes in honor of St Thomas the Apostle, who found refuge in the wounds of Christ. Today, December 21, is his feast in the calendar of the The Episcopal Church. The prayer is the Anima Christi, ca. 14th century, sometimes attributed to St Ignatius but actually dating earlier.

ANIMA Christi, sanctifica me.
Corpus Christi, salva me.
Sanguis Christi, inebria me.
Aqua lateris Christi, lava me.
Passio Christi, conforta me.
O bone Iesu, exaudi me.
Intra tua vulnera absconde me.
Ne permittas me separari a te.
Ab hoste maligno defende me.
In hora mortis meae voca me.
Et iube me venire ad te,
Ut cum Sanctis tuis laudem te
in saecula saeculorum.
Amen.

Soul of Christ, sanctify me
Body of Christ, save me
Blood of Christ, inebriate me
Water from Christ's side, wash me
Passion of Christ, strengthen me
O good Jesus, hear me
Within Thy wounds hide me
Suffer me not to be separated from Thee
From the malicious enemy defend me
In the hour of my death call me
And bid me come unto Thee
That I may praise Thee with Thy saints
and with Thy angels
Forever and ever
Amen



--the BB

4 comments:

Kirstin said...

Amen.

Thank you, so much for these.

June Butler said...

Beautiful, Paul. I finally made it here. I could translate nearly aoo of the Latin. I translated the final words as "world without end".

June Butler said...

That would be "nearly all of the Latin". I was tired.

Paul said...

Not as tired as I was when I read it, Grandmère, but I knew what you meant. Ne t'en fais pas. If only the rest of us could keep up with you.