Wednesday, December 19, 2007

It was done in your name


From The Rude Pundit (most of whose posts are not work-safe; very strong language):
Mohamed Farag Ahmad Bashmilah, a Yemeni citizen, says he was arrested and tortured in Jordan and was eventually given to CIA custody, flown to Afghanistan, and interrogated, for 19 months total, until, never charged with anything, he was released. On his transfer to CIA custody, Bashmilah says, "They started tearing down my clothes, from above all the way down. And I was being stripped completely naked. They started taking pictures from all directions. And they also started to beat me on my sides and also my feet. And then they put me in a position similar to the position of prostration in Muslim prayer, which is similar to the fetal position. And in that position, one of them inserted his finger in my anus very violently." That was done to an innocent man. It was done in your name. It was done because the government told you it wants to keep you safe.

--the BB

4 comments:

Fran said...

This is some very bad stuff - no good will come from any of it.

Until Americans can come together as a nation to say no to this, we are in deep trouble.

It is very disturbing and very scary.

Jungian psychology and shadow work ought to be mandatory these days.

Paul said...

Indeed, Fran, but can you imagine the resistance to taking a peek at our collective shadow? Bush agreeing to actually see himself in his totality? I am guessing that Cheney's shadow side is the light since his light side is all shadow.

Nationally we have gone for a manichaean approach, splitting our darkness off and denying it. May be why W, who is so manichaean, was seen as embodying American enough to garner votes. Which makes your point more forceful.

It would be so healthy and so horrifying.

June Butler said...

Vile, just vile. I can hardly stand to read this kind of thing, but I can't look away either.

In my name. I am so ashamed.

Paul said...

I agree, Mimi. It's subhuman behavior and totally despicable. I only post it because we have to speak up until it stops. I don't want the bastards to think nobody notices, nobody cares. I just wish I had the clout to end it yesterday. Sigh.