Wednesday, December 19, 2007

I believe I promised more silliness

Your Hidden Talent

You have the natural talent of rocking the boat, thwarting the system.
And while this may not seem big, it can be.
It's people like you who serve as the catalysts to major cultural changes.
You're just a bit behind the scenes, so no one really notices.


I am not going to say it's all Eileen's fault. I chose to take this silly test. I then, in an act of perverse willfulness, posted the results.

Yep, a real boat-rocker.
Me, in a rocking chair, not a boat, planning to thwart something or other.

I love this old photo. I was one of those "good little boys" who did what he was told, tried to keep all the rules, basically a little Pharisee like my namesake. There are very few times I got into trouble (the expression in that photo notwithstanding) because I was so conscious of all the rules, written and unwritten. If I thought the answer was probably "No," I just didn't ask. (By which I don't mean I did it anyway; au contraire, I let it drop and never even went there.)

What this photo preserves is that spark in me that would not be extinguished, would not conform, would not do only what other folks wanted or what would please other folks. It is the spark of me that would survive to be myself.

Over the years that spark nearly went out.

Thanks be to God it has survived and I can be me.

Just know that I only like boat rocking in a figurative sense. Literal boat rocking makes me anxious and angry. Taurus is a fixed-earth sign, not into water, thanks. And yes, I possess Taurean stubbornness.
--the BB

7 comments:

Kirstin said...

Took it. It was worth the so-called study break. Thank you.

Padre Mickey said...

Great photo! I love childhood pictures.
I suppose it would shock you to learn that I was ALWAYS in trouble! I attended a school for Missionary kids administered by Missionaries of the Southern Baptist, Assemblies of God, and Nazarene churches. I would do things which I thought were funny but apparently were works of the devil, like the time I went into the Boys' bathroom and locked the doors to all the stalls (while class was in session). For some strange reason they (the Administration) always knew it was me who did these things!

Don't ever let that spark go out, Padrecito!

Paul said...

Mickey el travieso, no doubt. Perhaps in the grand scheme of things we balanced each other out. Then. Now we're both on the naughty side, except we seem to be doing it to love people into wholeness. Which seems to be the point. after all.

No, no surprise that you got into trouble. ¡Ay! if they turned you loose in San Joaquin, just imagine the fuss you could stir up. And both of us?

I look forward to our paths crossing in the flesh, though having typed that online the Church may now do all it can to prevent it. LOL

Kirstin said...

Oh, and I was always a "good kid" too--though never good enough. I love this pic of you.

susan s. said...

Cute kid! We are both Taureans! What day is your birthday? :-)

Paul said...

The Feast of Dame Julian of Norwich, aka V-E Day (shared with Don Rickles, Ricky Nelson, and a couple of my cousins)

Fran said...

That is a great photo! The spark is in your eyes, despite your early inner Pharisee!!

And praise God that the spark lived and has emerged as it has... You are a delight and a gift of the blogworld, to be sure.

I took the test too and will post it later today. It came to me at a time when I was struggling with another post and the test results will make it all work much easier.

So thank you!