Friday, December 28, 2007

Friday Prince Blogging

Hunk-Prins
[source]
One of the world's most eligible royals (according to an article of 9/3/2007)

I know I've said that I feel like a Mediterranean or a Latin in a Swedish body and don't resonate a whole lot with Scandinavia. I don't do coffee or herring or lutfisk. Still....

Time to celebrate roots. My grandfather came from Nykroppa and my grandmother from Stockholm. My breakfast this morning was toast made from limpa that I baked myself.

He sails, he skis, he races cars, and he's into photography and design. He was born first in line to the Swedish throne but the laws were changed, promptly moving his older sister into that slot. It's that hunk from the House of Bernadotte, HRH Carl Philip of Sweden!

Born in the royal palace, Stockholm, on May 13th 1979

Their Royal Highnesses Prince Carl Philip, Princess Madeleine, Crown Princess Victoria, and their Majesties Queen Silvia and King Carl XVI Gustav.
From a video of the King's birthday celebration
Even princes get scruffy sometimes
Carl Philip and Orlando Bloom: separated at birth?
Men vad i... Kolla in, vår hunk-prins Carl Philip och filmhjälten Orlando Bloom är kusligt lika! Samma ögon, samma näsa - till och med samma frisyr. Vad tycker du? [source] Same eyes, same nose.... What do you think?

Attending the royal wedding of Prince Fredrik of Denmark with his sisters

Image from Wikipedia
Carl Philip Edmund Bertil, Prince of Sweden, Duke of Värmland, was born on 13 May 1979.

He is the second oldest child of King Carl XVI Gustaf and Queen Silvia. He has two sisters, Crown Princess Victoria and Princess Madeleine.
Prince Carl Philip has a naval education and became a Lieutenant in December 2004.
In May 2006 Prince Carl Philip finished a two-year course in Graphic Design at Forsbergs School of Design.

(from the official Royal Swedish website)
Hobbies: art, scouting (when he was younger), sports (athletics, motor sports, football, tennis, skiing, swimming), hunting and nature. He has a racing licence of the Swedish Motor Sport Association.

[source]

Image from the Carl Philip website

The Washington Post reported last January that Prince Carl Philip slipped into town on a work assignment and back out again without drawing attention. He was working with National Geographic.
All that globe-hopping meant no chance to flirt with the Swedish Prince Charming -- but then, he's already spoken for. Carl's been dating Emma Pernald for about eight years now, and is waiting only until big sis picks a husband before tying the knot.

So, sorry ladies, it appears he's rather taken.

I want to close with one paragraph from the King's Christmas address:
There must be a ways to live side by side in a mutual respect for each other’s differences. We should try to keep this vision alive.
--the BB

10 comments:

Jane R said...

Yowza.

I did already like the preview you gave us a while back. Glory hallelujah. I love it when you do research.

Who knew there were dark Swedes?

Paul said...

Lots of Swedes are dark and this one has brown eyes. Lovely. Brown. Eyes.
Where was I? Oh yes, I began as a blond then gradually turned brown to dark brown. Then to silver. My grandmother had brown hair too.

Yes, I had listed him before but I wanted more. So to speak. Ja!

Jane R said...

Hurrah for you! And for the other handsome Swedes. And he does look like Orlando Bloom, though I think the prince is better-looking -- Orlando Bloom is less, er, substantial. But he must be one of the Swedish Blooms, huh?

Thanks again for the aesthetic contribution to our collective well-being :-). (Or as you and Eileen and pj would say more succinctly, woof!)

I need to get out more.

June Butler said...

waiting only until big sis picks a husband before tying the knot

Waiting eight years? That's pretty ridiculous.

You had me thinking that maybe there's something to this royal blood and good looks combination, but then I think of Charles, and I'm persuaded otherwise. Mea culpa.

Paul said...

Jane, dear, so do I. If I got out more I might not be prince blogging, I could be finding my own prince charming. LOL. Not sure I'd know what to do with one now.

Fran said...

Dare I say it... Prince or queen? Just wondering.

Frankly he is pretty cute, I will give him that and very Orlando Bloomian!

Paul said...

Yes,Mimi, it sounds like a pretty thin excuse to me. It may be royal protocol but even so! Either the young lady is very patient and understanding or--dare I hope?--a "beard."

Perhaps I did not look hard enough but I did not see photos of Prince Carl Philip with his lady, only with sisters or parents.

I certainly don't buy the pretty royals idea myself, but I do tend to favor the nicer looking gentlemen here. We all know this is entirely about eye candy.

The sister of one of my godsons lives in Sweden, having studied law there. She (or was it her mother?) has met the Queen and the impression I get is that the Swedish royals are rather a relaxed and fun bunch.

Paul said...

Dear Fran, so kind of you to raise the hopes of gay men prone to royal romanticism. Perhaps he just prefers living without benefit of clergy (though what benefits we provide are always open to question).

Should he suddenly opt for benefit of clergy and since TEC is still (so far) in communion with the Church of Sweden, I should like to offer my services to HRH.

Jane R said...

Jane: I need to get out more.

Paul: Jane, dear, so do I.

I wasn't going to say that. You did, though. LOL.

I'll work on finding you a date.

But keep up the aesthetic blogging for now...

P.S. The random password for this post says "ishmczez." I think this is a good name for someone in one of your novels.

Paul said...

Well, Jane, the first part sounds like someone from Hoggast (aka the Kingdom of Druva) and the second half like someone from Bjupaž. The former is in the SE and the latter in the NW. Perhaps someone born on a ship in transit between the two, just NW of the Perrine Isles.

I have, however, tried to stick with names that I can pronounce. Mithron phonics have not yet allowed for a cz combination (not enough Polish influence, obviously).