Sunday, December 23, 2007

Ten Questions


From Crooks and Liars comes this exercise: questions James Lipton asks of his guests on Inside the Actors’ Studio, inspired by the French interviewer Bernard Pivot.

1. What is your favorite word?
2. What is your least favorite word?
3. What turns you on?
4. What turns you off?

5. What sound or noise do you love?
6. What sound or noise do you hate?
7. What is your favorite curse word?
8. What profession other than your own would you like to attempt?
9. What profession would you not like to do?
10. If Heaven exists, what would you like to hear God say when you arrive at the Pearly Gates?

My answers:
1. I have never thought of it. For mouth feel there is “luxuriate,” in the conceptual category there is “perichoresis,” for life orientation there is “thanks,” and in everyday life there is “yes!” I fell under the spell of words no later than when father taught me to read (i.e., when I was three years old). They have always seemed magical: the mere idea that we can communicate through sounds and symbols amazes me.

2. One I would never use here and find it almost impossible to type in any situation. I find it utterly vile, though I use it when I want to describe certain kinds of despicable behavior.

3. Warm, relaxed, genuine smiles. I melt.

4. Attitude—almost any form of pomposity, especially among bosses and clergy. Get over your effing self (see # 7 below); we’re not impressed.

5. The cry of a hawk, the gentle sound of water in a brook or fountain in the background, someone moaning or purring with pleasure (in any context), cellos, and lots of silence (see # 6 immediately following).

6. Any noise intruding on nature: leaf blowers (an abomination), portable radios outdoors (or any car radio that can be heard more than three feet away from the driver), cell phones used on public transportation (your wife does NOT need to know you just got through the tunnel and will be home in twelve more minutes; she expects you, for God’s sake, and we don’t want to listen to your fucking conversation (see # 7 below; it’s escalating).

7. Based on frequency of use in almost any situation? The f-bomb, hands down. Off limits in sermons and with children around; otherwise liable to explode anywhere.

8. Teaching (formally; I’ve done it informally all my life). And, of course, being a published author with several books in print.

9. Sales; I loathe pressuring people and I dislike sales pitches aimed at me. If I am already interested, by all means tell me the benefits of what you offer but do not push. (Taurus here; it’s a bad idea to pressure me.)

10. Kazan is waiting for you just inside; here’s a Swedish pepper cookie so you don’t have to greet him empty-handed. Btw, you loved my world and fed my sheep. Welcome.


By now y’all know I don’t tag but I do invite. So have at it if you wish. Post at your place and let me know (or you may answer in comments). Have fun!
--the BB

5 comments:

Fran said...

That is so great! I loved reading this. If I can I will do it at my blog!

June Butler said...

It's a lot more fun for me to watch others answer these questions, but since you played my game with such elan, I should play yours, right?

1.Love
2.MF
3.Bluesy slow dance music
4.Hypocrisy
5.A toddler's squeal of delight
6.Blowers, lawn mowers
7.F-bomb
8.Writer
9.Surgeon
10.Welcome home, love

The writer thing is mostly fantasy, because I like the idea of being a writer more than I'd like the actual work of writing.

Paul said...

Oh, Mimi! "Welcome home, love" is just so perfect. I think I've fallen in love with you all over again (Grandpère can join the lovely Mona in keeping an eye on us.)

June Butler said...

Paul, since, according to you, I made such a success of this questionnaire, I should try these things more often.

As you know, dearest Fran blessed me, too, but I tend to get blocked when I'm called upon to choose from amongst people I like. I may not be able to pass the blessing on, except to all those bloggers who have blessed me. And they are more than a few.

Also, Kirstin attended the service at St. Nicholas in San Joaquin. She will write about it tomorrow.

Kirstin said...

...yes, she will, when her head stops shaking. She'll play this meme tomorrow, too.