Thursday, January 24, 2008

Friday prince blogging

Grand Ducal Arms of Luxembourg (from Wikipedia)

Before I introduce this Friday's prince, I have a little story. In the first and fourth quarters of the grand ducal arms above you will see a crowned red lion rampant on a barry (horizontally striped) field argent and azure (silver and blue). This is the civil ensign of Luxembourg, familiar to me as the flag that flew on the Star Clipper, the tall-masted ship on which my ex and I sailed about the "treasure islands" of the Caribbean one January. Ignoring my bouts of sea sickness on the last two days (and I know most incarnationally what "blow chunks" means), the sight of it brings back pleasant memories. Of course, I am the type that could spend a great many days lying in the sun with great contentment. Feed me occasionally, hydrate me often, keep loud noises away... ahh! Bliss.

His Royal Highness the Hereditary Grand Duke
of Luxembourg, Prince Guillaume


May I present to the august personages of blogtopia (™ skippy the bush kangaroo) Prince Guillaume Jean Joseph Marie, Hereditary Grand Duke (i.e., designated heir) of Luxembourg. Prince Guillaume was born November 11, 1981. He is the eldest child of Grand Duke Henri of Luxembourg and his wife Grand Duchess Maria Teresa, an heir of the House of Nassau. (Wikipedia is the source of the info here.)

There is another Prince Guillaume of Luxembourg, his uncle.

This Prince Guillaume attended the Royal Military Academy Sandhurst and has studied at the University of Durham. He has studied international politics and geopolitics.

Ladies, there is hope. Prince Guillaume dated a Norwegian young lady for a year but is currently, so far as I can tell, unattached for the past several years.

I believe he will be paying attention on February 3 when the Giants play the Patriots in Arizona.*
Guillaume is interested in music and sports; he plays piano and enjoys soccer, swimming and volleyball. He speaks Luxembourgish, French, German, Spanish and English. He regularly represents his parents in many foreign activities. He also has a passionate love for the sport of American football and is a fan of the New York Giants.
His siblings are Prince Felix, Prince Louis, Princess Alexandra, and Prince Sebastien.

Prince Guillaume, one of the world's
eligible bachelors

Prince Louis, Guillaume's brother,
who renounced claims to the throne
for himself and his heirs.
I think this photo explains why.


Prince Felix, another royal brother

Prince Guillaume goes postal

Le Grand Duc Jean (Guillaume's grandfather, who abdicated in favor of his son Henri), Le Grand Duc Henri, La Grande Duchesse Maria Teresa, SAR Prince Guillaume, le Roi Albert II et la Reine Paola de Belgique

The Grand Ducal Family

Promoting business in Luxembourg

Making an appearance in Belgium

Prince Guillaume


--the BB
* [Ha! Bet you thought I was too caught up in ecclesiastical trivia and linguistic minutiae to know who was playing the Superbowl, didn't ya?]

12 comments:

Fran said...

Luxembourgish?

Paul said...

Yes, Fran, it's listed as his mother tongue. Luxembourgish is discussed at Wikipedia.

I knew nothing of it (or had forgotten decades ago). So get your Berlitz out, girl. No, you're taken. Berlitz for the single hopeful grand duchess wannabes.

Fran said...

Oh - don't steal my dreams!!! LOL, I am rather happy with my Ukrainian prince, although his royal line does appear to be rather questionable at times.

Fran said...

Fascinating info about the language. And Ms. SmartyPantsIam always thinks I know more than I do.

Ah the gift of humility does open that door to learning though, does it not?

June Butler said...

Paul, I believe that you're beginning to make princes up - you know, like fairy tales. There can't be that many handsome princes in all the world.

Paul said...

I just go googling, Mimi. What! You think I'm photoshopping these boys? (And most of them are very young. A friend was shaking her head at Guillaume--and some of these pics are old--then we reminisced about what was happening our lives when we had just turned 26.)

johnieb said...

So, Paul, who IS playing in the Superbowl?

June Butler said...

At 26, I got married.

susan s. said...

Ah, Luxembourgish. Love it. He's not bad either, but bein' as he is younger than my own son, I can only sigh. Sigh!!

Paul said...

Well, Johnieb, if this is a test: NY Giants beat the Green Bay Packers in the playoff and the New England Patriots beat the San Diego Chargers, so it's Giants vs. Patriots in Arizona on February 3. so there!

(I don't follow football at all during the season but try to know who's playing in the Superbowl so I don't look like a total dolt.)

Paul said...

Susan s., I'll try to get one more mature for you.

johnieb said...

The Giants!!!???

Feb. 3rd? Thanks.

the total dolt