Friday, January 25, 2008

Move over, Jack Benny

A visitor from the Philippines brings our flag total up to 39.

Welcome!

The Asian Commission of the Diocese of California also provided the opportunity for me to get to know Fr. Bayani Rico and the Church of St Martin and the Holy Child in Daly City where a thriving Filipino Episcopal community worshiped. Then, in a doctoral seminar, I got to know Bishop Bart Espotero of the Iglesia Filipina Independiente (Philippine Independent Church, in communion with the Episcopal Church and the Anglican Communion).

Through my cousin's wife I learned to love lumpia. Yum!

A family tale:
Dan brought his lovely bride-to-be to California to get married. She stayed with us, my mother being the sort of matriarch who would look after a young woman in a strange country. It was Thanksgiving week. Mother called the offices of the Roman Catholic diocese to inquire about getting these young Catholics wed. So sorry, no can do, all closed down for the holidays, paperwork, etc.

They did not realize it was my mother calling. Silly folk.

She informed them that this girl's parents had entrusted their good Catholic daughter to her for an honorable marriage and she intended to see that happen and if the Catholic Church would not look after their own she would turn to Protestants. They were married the day after Thanksgiving in the diocesan chapel. I have never, before or since, seen a wedding arranged in the space of two days.

Slow blogging day but I was taken out to dinner by my best friend on this, my saint's day (Feast of the Conversion of St Paul: a lovely time for the fattening of sinner Paul).

Speaking of slow blogging, I have begun some overdue paperwork. "Shoveled" scattered papers into a couple of boxes, took them down by the kitchen table, put the paper shredder nearby, and began to sort and toss. Some order may yet come out of my chaos. Who knows? I may be able to find all the papers I need for taxes before April rolls around. I may get books put back on the shelves whence I took them. I may be able to organize the revision of my novel. All sorts of wonderful things might happen... provided I spend less time on the internet. Don't plan to disappear, just ease up a bit.

I do hope you have all begun a wonderful and restorative weekend.
--the BB

2 comments:

Jane R said...

Thank you, Pablito, and blessings for your saint's day! I made chocolate truffles last night -- all that tofu and brown rice and vegetable stir-fry was getting to me, I guess ;-). So I will savour a truffle in your honour (note the Brit spelling) shortly. It is made of very dark chocolate which includes some chocolate with espresso beans I had left over and it has a bit of rum in it. Nazdrovya!

Paul said...

Now that's the sort of toast that warms a bear's heart. Thank you, dear Jane. Happy savouring! (Glad you have not been swallowed up in tofu--it's good stuff but you gotta have some butter and cream now and again.)