Thursday, February 14, 2008

Holy Valentinus, pray for us

That our hearts may be tender,
yet not so defenseless as to be easily crushed;

that our hearts be strong,

yet not hardened and inflexible;

that our hearts be open
to all that is good and kind and noble

yet firm against cruelty and thoughtlessness;

swift to forgive and slow to anger;

wise and prudent in all our dealings

lest we descend to folly

yet ever willing to be fools for God

in the eyes of an unknowing world.

May our hearts never close themselves

to love or to kindness.

In their breaking

may they become whole.



--the BB

9 comments:

Kirstin said...

Amen.

I love this.

Jane R said...

Oh, Paul, that is a lovely prayer. Did you write it?

Cheers from Greensboro, where the snow is melting... melting... {makes Wicked Witch sounds} So glad I had a walk in the woods first thing in the morning. Short but sweet.

Paul said...

Yes. Thank you, Jane. It does not flow as nicely as I would like but it was way past my bedtime and my brains were scattered in bits on the floor.

A walk in the woods sounds lovely and I am glad you are treating yourself to such an excellent spiritual practice this Lent.

June Butler said...

What greater compliment than to give you a link? Yes, it's a lovely prayer.

Paul said...

Thanks, Grandmère. I've sent the linky love back at ya in the Cyril and Methodius post.

Smoochies!

BooCat said...

I would like to copy this for a Valentine's card for my Cursillo Reunion group that meets this evening--Icon, prayer and all, but not without your permission. It is a wonderful prayer.

Paul said...

Boocat, OT but you absolutely have my permission to publish the prayer. I don't even remember where I nicked the mosaic photo so cannot speak to copyright issues there. I think you might be within fair use in a private, not for profit, matter, but IANAL (I am not a lawyer).

[I also posted this in an unrelated post on your blog in hopes you are certain to get this message.]

BooCat said...

Thanks, Paul. The Reunion Group loved the prayer. It was a lovely end to a wonderful day.

Fran said...

I was out and about all day and had to come at least have a peek here.

Lovely! Happy Valentine's Day and thank you for this beautiful prayer and post.