Monday, February 11, 2008

I hope I haven't started an international incident


Welcome to our first visitor from Monaco! I am guessing the post on Prince Andrea led to the visit (though OCICBW). I hope my reference to His Serene Highness Prince Albert II as "Uncle Al" was not offensive and apologize if it was. [It may help to know that "Uncle Al" was a term of endearment used by students in my high school humanities classes for our most admired and beloved teacher of all time. Mr. Amend may have influenced my life more than any other human besides my parents and my ex.]

I love the opportunity to learn, whatever the occasion. I have some tidbits for friends and visitors today (all from Wikipedia).

(1) The flag of Monaco is the same in color and arrangement as the flag of Indonesia though the proportions differ. It is composed of the heraldic colors of the Grimaldi family (cf. the red and white lozenges on the coat of arms below).

(2) French is the official language of Monaco and French nationals are the largest segment of residents (47%), followed by Monegasques (16%) and Italians (16%). The rest of the population includes some 125 nationalities.

(3) Monégasque, the local language, is now taught in all the schools and may have a revival. I think this would be great because I love the sense of the local and the preservation and flowering of all the glorious variety in the world. The tongue is related to Ligurian (an Italian variant) with influence from Occitan (a southern French variant native in Languedoc).

In honor of the native tongue, here is the opening verse of the national hymn:

"Despoei tugiù sciü d'u nostru paise
Se ride au ventu, u meme pavayùn
Despoei tugiù a curù russa e gianca
E stà l'emblema, d'a nostra libertà
Grandi e i piciui, l'an sempre respetà"

Forever, in our land,
One flag has flown in the wind
Forever, the colours red and white
Have symbolised our liberty
Great and small [people] have always respected them.

1 comment:

Fran said...

I really love coming here to read your flag posts. Well all of your stuff, but I always learn something and today I learned a lot. Monaco is a place I know very little about.

Thank you sir!