Wednesday, January 09, 2008

Pop the champagne, we're 21 now!

We've now had at least one visitor each from Japan and Nicaragua. I've never been to either country but I have fallen in love with Kabuki theatre and studied it in college. Under the tutelage of Leonard Pronko and with the aid of his dance instructor Fujima Kansuma, we produced Kabuki plays in translation at Pomona College. I will never forget Yoshitsune Sembon Zakura, Narukami, or Migawari Zazen. Woohoo, wonderful times and exciting theatre! The kind ladies who helped construct our costumes never ceased giggling over my immense size. Vikings got around a lot but not to Japan.

I do have a Nicaraguan flag in my physical flag collection and a lovely Nicaraguan family attended St Cuddy's in Oakland. One of my high school classmates was a journalist in Nicaragua during the intense civil struggles. We are all intimately connected.

Welcome one and all!
--the BB

2 comments:

John D Bassett said...

Oh, do go to Nicaragua! There's a lot of interesting natural stuff to see there. People are really friendly, and it's all reasonably priced even with the decline of the dollar.

And it you get there, maybe you'll get the picture I wanted to take. I was in San Juan del Sur, and in front of a modest little house was a large nativity scene. All the figures were life sized. Jesus was in the manger, with Mary and Joseph nearby. The wise men and shepherd were there, and so were some angels. And then, at the edge of the scene, also adoring, I noticed Frosty the Snowman and Santa Claus with Rudolf. Why did my camera run out of power just then?

Diane M. Roth said...

wow, how do you get so many visitors from other countries? especially Japan! congratulations! Or, as they would say in Japan, Omedetou gozaimasu.