Wednesday, January 09, 2008

We are experienceing technical difficulties

Two weeks ago iTunes stopped working on my Mac. Then several days ago iPhoto would not launch. Yesterday Safari would not launch. I also have used Firefox so I still had a browser but life got very complicated. After the longest diagnostic and repair run the guy at the Apple Store had ever seen we just reformatted the hard drive and I now have to reload all my saved files and reinstall all my non-standard software.

As someone who had over 300,000 files on this laptop, I am sighing and being very patient and stoic about it all. YOu might not hear a lot from me until tomorrow.

May computer angels defend you all!
--the BB

4 comments:

Fran said...

Praying for you. I know that routine with the Genius Bar very well. Shudder.

For some inexplicable reason I have been in uber-avoidance about backing up.

Think that will be top of the list now. I am usually quite good about it, which is what saved my life when the last Mac died an untimely death.

Hang in there!

Paul said...

I'M HANGING. I have installed most of my software at this point and about half of my files. In a moment I shall see if I backed up the language database for my fiction (artificial language). If that was saved under the FileMaker Pro application instead of in my fiction folder I shall have lost a great thing. Also lost a year's worth of e-mail archives that I had on disk. For the most part that is no big deal but some of them did matter.

So, get to backing up, Fran and all my friends!

I did have my novel backed up along with a lot of other stuff. Need to do more of it more often because you never know when Mercury will go into retrograde and the computer demons will emerge from some local hellhole.

June Butler said...

Go, Stoic Paul!

Yes, I need to do that back-up thing, too.

Kirstin said...

Glurg.

I hope you get everything back that you need.

Prayers!