Saturday, January 12, 2008

Sunday reflections


Then Peter began to speak to them: ‘I truly understand that God shows no partiality, but in every nation anyone who fears him and does what is right is acceptable to him.
(Acts 10)


Thus says God, the Lord,
who created the heavens and stretched them out,
who spread out the earth and what comes from it,
who gives breath to the people upon it
and spirit to those who walk in it:
I am the Lord, I have called you in righteousness,
I have taken you by the hand and kept you;
I have given you as a covenant to the people,
a light to the nations,
to open the eyes that are blind,
to bring out the prisoners from the dungeon,
from the prison those who sit in darkness.
I am the Lord, that is my name;
my glory I give to no other,
nor my praise to idols.
See, the former things have come to pass,
and new things I now declare;
before they spring forth,
I tell you of them.
(Isaiah 42)

Fr Jake commented about the inhibition of former bishop Schofield:
The people of San Joaquin are now free to seek a new vision of what God is calling them to become.


I am rejoicing with them, and do not apologize for it. I feel no sadness. Bp. Schofield brought this on himself by his voluntary choice to leave. Consequently, he is no longer my concern. So now I choose to rejoice that the captives have been set free.

Leslie of St Francis in exile responded:
It truly does feel like freedom this morning. Praise God!
Let there be freshness and new life at every turn. May the churches of the San Joaquin know and feel that they no longer operate under a cloud but that the Light of God shines all about them. May all the faithful claim their calling to give light to the nations.

O God, open to us today the sea of your mercy
and water us with full streams
from the riches of your grace
and springs of your kindness.
Make us children of quietness and heirs of peace:
kindle in us the fire of your love;
sow in us your fear;
strengthen our weakness by your power
and bind us close to you and to each other.

--Iona Abbey Worship Book


Almighty and everlasting God, from whom cometh every good and perfect gift: Send down upon our bishops, and other clergy, and upon the congregations committed to their charge, the healthful Spirit of thy grace; and, that they may truly please thee, pour upon them the continual dew of thy blessing. Grant this, O Lord, for the honor of our Advocate and Mediator, Jesus Christ. Amen.
(BCP, 817)

No comments: