Sunday, February 17, 2008

Second Sunday in Lent

Given the call to Abram in today's First Lesson, this week's reflection header with a sky full of stars may be nicely timed, since Abram (later Abraham) was promised descendants numberless as the stars.

I have written before on John 3:16, that classic and beloved Bible verse. Most of the readers who come here are familiar with the venomous ministry of Westboro Baptist Church, home of Fred Phelps and his family and their "God hates fags" movement. They maintain that the idea that God loves everybody is the greatest lie ever told. [I am not providing a link. You can find them if you want to.]

By way of contrast, I remember back in the days when I was memorizing Bible verses like crazy (the Navigators had a great program for this though nowadays I might do a somewhat different selection of verses to memorize), I learned not only John 3:16, which I knew since childhood, but also John 3:17, treating them as a single passage.
"For God so loved the world that he gave his only Son, so that everyone who believes in him may not perish but may have eternal life. Indeed, God did not send the Son into the world to condemn the world, but in order that the world might be saved through him. (John 3:16-17)

That is really all I want to say today. It speaks for itself. That is was the conclusion of today's Gospel reading for most of us (except our Roman siblings), gave it some extra punch.
O God, whose glory it is always to have mercy: Be gracious to all who have gone astray from your ways, and bring them again with penitent hearts and steadfast faith to embrace and hold fast the unchangeable truth of your Word, Jesus Christ your Son; who with you and the Holy Spirit lives and reigns, one God, for ever and ever. Amen.

--the BB

3 comments:

Fran said...

Talking about putting things into context or perspective... What is John 3:16 without 3:17?

Amen, amen.

Jane R said...

Really. Kevin preached a great sermon on it yesterday at St. Mary's House, and among other things noted of course the "not to condemn the world" and the fact that so many have used the preceding verse to do exactly the opposite. Hello?

Paul darling, you were a Navigator?! Oh my.

Paul said...

No, Jane, I was not a Navigator, though I knew some. I just used their Bible memorization materials.